3 of 8 Next
The Beilinson General Hospital of Kupat Holim (the Sick Fund of the Histadrut) was designed for 500 beds in 1954, but the masterplan provided for its expansion into a medical centre with over 1000 beds. Architectural emphasis was placed on a balanced functional and spatial relationship between the multi-storey building and the low buildings, surrounding it. The masterplan of the early 'fifties - a time of huge immigration - was based on a modular design, flexible and expandable. Today the number of patients is near to 1,200 and a new masterplan is being prepared. The extensions are being planned according to the same organic planning principle of simple modular systems, closely related to the surrounding open spaces, as a continuation of the original masterplan.
The hospital consists of an eight-storey nursing wing to the south and medical facilities to the north, connected by a communications core containing elevators and staircases. The one-storey pavilions contain administration, blood-bank, admission, first-aid, and stores workshops and power house at the rear, and are closely connected to the multi-storey building.