6 of 8 Next
The Jerusalem Masterplan, prepared by the Planning Department in 1950, attempted to find an organic solution to the different urban problems and to help the city serve its main functions as the political and cultural capital of Israel. The hills in the centre were expropriated and designated as the location for the Parliament, Government Ministries, Hebrew University and Israel Museum. The Judean hills west of the city were added to the municipal area for the erection of new residential neighbourhoods. It was proposed that a new commercial centre should be established on the western city entrance and several industrial zones on the outskirts. For the green belts and open spaces, Jerusalem offered a natural solution: all wadis ravines and valleys between the hills on which the city stands were designated as parks, with green strips separating the neighbourhoods.